UGC has revised the Draft National Curriculum Framework, Guidelines on Promoting Social Accountability and Community Engagement in HEIs in line with NEP 2020.
UGC (Source: official account)
NEW DELHI: The University Grants Commission (UGC) has sought input on the revised draft National Curriculum Framework and Guidelines on “Promoting Social Accountability and Community Engagement in Higher Education Institutions in India”. The Commission has invited students, teachers, researchers and all stakeholders to submit their comments by March 15.
Stakeholders can send their suggestions to the University Activity Monitoring Portal (UAMP) at ugc.in.in.uamp.
Read also | UGC Seeks Suggestions on Draft Amendments to ODL and Online Programs Rules
The Commission has revised the draft guidelines in accordance with the recommendations of the National Education Policy (NEP 2020).
“The UGC-as-a-Subject Expert Group (UGC-SEG) on Curriculum Reforms and Social Accountability of Educational Institutions under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) 2.0 has prepared the framework and guidelines for the national program to “foster” social responsibility and community engagement in Higher Education Institution in India” in 2020, which is also one of the vertical sectors of UGC’s quality mandate which is social and industrial connects for each HEI. This program has been revised in light of the NEP 2020 recommendations,” UGC said in an official notification.
Read also | UGC invites suggestions on draft curriculum and Life Skills Facilitator Guidelines
The Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’ (UBA 2.0) is a government flagship program that aims to bring about transformational change in rural development through the active engagement of colleges and universities with local communities, and the reorientation of curricula and the R&D design of knowledge institutions, he mentioned.
Revised CGU Guidelines
The UGC has divided the revised draft guidelines according to NEP 2020 into four main subsections:
- Recommended curriculum for a new mandatory course on community engagement for all UG and PG students in HEIs.
- Suggestions for modifying existing courses and curriculum to align with the national framework described above
- Offer new auditing courses to promote community engagement and social responsibility
- Undertake research in partnership with the local community
Read also | UGC publishes draft accessibility guidelines for PwD students in HEIs; invite comments
Objectives to “foster social accountability and community engagement in HEIs” may include
- Improve the quality of teaching and learning in HEIs, bridging the gap between theory and practice through community engagement
- Promote deeper interactions between higher education institutions and local communities for the identification and solution of real-life problems faced by communities in the spirit of mutual benefit
- Facilitate partnerships between local communities and higher education institutions so that students and teachers can learn from local knowledge and wisdom
- Engage higher education institutions with local communities to make curricula, courses and pedagogies more appropriate to achieve national development goals
- Catalyze the acquisition of the values of public service and active citizenship among students and young people, which would also encourage, nurture and exploit the natural idealism of youth
- Undertake research projects in partnership with the local community through community-based research methods
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, schools, research, NEP and education policies and more.
To contact us, email us at [email protected]
More Vagisha Kaushik