Main objective of the position:
- Support key population program stakeholder engagement activities, projects and events
- In collaboration with the Senior Advisor for Community Engagement, build and maintain existing relationships with the key population community (sex workers and transgender people), Ministry of Health, funders, opinion leaders and civil society organizations at national, regional and global levels
- Parktown – Johannesburg
Key performance areas:
The Wits RHI Key Populations program is looking for a dynamic and energetic individual to support our community engagement strategy.
- Support community engagement activities, strategies, projects and events for key populations program
- Create strategic plans to help facilitate community engagement and put them into action with support from the Community Engagement Manager
- Build relationships with the community, institutions and organizations as well as maintain and elevate existing relationships
- Represent the interests of Wits RHI and present progress, achievements and lessons learned to key stakeholders
- Support online outreach strategies by developing relevant messages for online platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp) to ensure maximum reach to sex workers and transgender people
- Support the development and distribution of information, education and communication (IEC) materials for sex workers and transgender people
- Identify new platforms and strategies to encourage use of services by sex workers and transgender people
- Support monitoring and evaluation of the impact of demand creation strategies
- Organize outreach training workshops for site teams, with the support of the senior team
- Use advocacy channels to promote accessible and acceptable health services for sex workers and transgender people
- Participate in multi-sectoral engagements with ministries and other stakeholders to advocate for health equity for sex workers and transgender people
- Support client feedback mechanisms and dissemination of results to ensure provision of quality services to the key population community (including coordination of Community Advisory Boards)
- Support the conceptualization, design and execution of research studies conducted by the key populations program team
Minimum education and training required:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, social sciences or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with key population programming and current advocacy issues affecting the community
- Able to communicate sensitively and work with sex workers and transgender people in community settings
- Experience in community engagement, communications or public relations
- Experience in donor funded programs
- Proficiency in the use of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and willingness to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Professionalism and diplomacy in relations with stakeholders
Additional education, work experience and personal abilities desirable:
- Self-motivated, passionate, people-oriented and proactive communicator
- Energetic person with an ability to handle complex situations, handle stress and proactively achieve goals
- Excited to create meaningful engagement between different stakeholders and the program
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Organized with a thorough and precise approach to work and attention to detail
- Only if you meet the minimum job requirements and experience mentioned above can you submit a detailed and updated CV.
- Please apply online and complete your registration on Ditto Hire (our Applicant Tracking System) to enable and protect you as a candidate. to accept the new general conditions of POPIA. This will then create your permanent profile with which you can apply for all jobs advertised by AJ PERSONNEL. However, you can delete your PERSONAL AJ profile when you are no longer on the job market.
- AJ Personnel is fully POPIA compliant.
- Please note that candidates who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- Deadline for all applications: November 02, 2022.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Applicants who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date may consider their application unsuccessful.
- Our client, WHC – RHI, maintains mandatory Covid-19 requirements, and as such, only Covid-19 vaccinated incumbents will be considered for positions.
- WHC, in accordance with its employment equity objectives and plan, will give preference to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments .
- AJ Personnel is solely responsible for advertising advertising on behalf of its client Wits Health Consortium.
- AJ Personnel has no salary or other information regarding the position.
About the employer:
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the biggest public health issues affecting our region including HIV and related issues, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology.
Find out more/Apply to this position